Sunday, April 27, 2008

It takes a village...

It takes a village to raise a child.

So goes an ancient saying. Didnt realise how true this saying was - until mom and dad in law left us and returned back to India. Sonny was then 5 months old. I still remember retuning to an absolutely still house. Hubby and I retreated to our own shells - pretending to be really really busy with who knows what.

Slowly as we adjusted to them not being there - came the first whammy. One entire night when sonny wouldnt sleep. We rode around in the car, fed him, bottle fed him (hubby's constant theory - my son is hungry), rocked him, ignored him, fought with each other, yelled at each other, nothing worked. It wasnt like he was crying or anything - he just wouldnt sleep. He finally fell asleep at 4 or 5 am (by then who cares - the night had passed away - sleepless).

And everyday sonny had something new for us. New, ignorant parents that we were - we only had Dr. Spock for company. We didnt want to worry the parents living thousands of miles away at every lil thing. So we stumbled and bumbled and fell and picked ourselves up again.
Why has my perfectly healthy 10 month old child not eaten in 18 hours?
He's spouting his front 3 teeth at go, you silly goose.
No one told me that - and ignoramuses that we were, we rushed him to the hospital.

Why wont my chld's diaper rash go away?
Stop using those damn wipes. Use cotton buds and water instead.
See, now that made sense - the rash went away in half a day.

Why is my child slow at crawling?
Well, if you out him down from your lap - will he realise that he's gotta move around on his own, dodo.

Ahhh!!


And millions and millions and millions of lil things like that. For each we'd tell ourselves, "I wish I knew this", "Why didnt anyone tell me this earlier?"

For for that one needs a village. Full of wise, intelligent women with lil tit-bits of gyaan to be doled out. Inspiring anecdotes when you are down. And when nothing else works - loads of hugs.

Its true - it takes a village to raise a child. And you my doula gang - are my village people.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 1:01 AM, Blogger Tharini said...

it seems soooo cliched to say awwww, but awwwww...

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Just Like That said...

Hugs! I dunno what to say to this post...sigh!

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger How do we know said...

Wow! so true, so veru true, this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home