Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sonny names

K's mom tags me to do a tell-all of the names we call sonny.

To begin with Sonny is itself a nick. Sonny's Ma bows to take the credits on this one.

Gudda - The quintessential boy nick ever. Called only when sonny is behaving himself.
Chanda - My Moon.
Paalu - A spin-off for 'Pyaaru' or loved one
Mommy doffs her hat at these.

At times Sonny's mom forgets she has a boy and insists on calling him girl nicks. So he's called:
Gudiya - My doll
Bitiya - My daughter
Rani - My queen
Goes unsaid - sonny's baba can only see red when his male off-spring is called girly-names.

Chote/Chhotu - Lil one. Of course he is the Chota-most in the household. Baba gets credited with this one.

Aalu - Baba gets credited with this one too. Its actually a spin-off his name. But it means potato :)

Shonu-Shoniya - Depending on whether mom is in a mood for a boy or girl nick.

Bandar - Literally Monkey. When sonny decides its antics-time. Only Ma calls him this one.

Arabi - Arab inhabitant. Sonny's paternal grand-dad gave him this title since we've moved to Riyadh.

Angrez ki aulad - Mom calls him this one - when sonny decides to be abso firang. Literally means Son of an English man.

Khadu/Khattu - Its the weirdest spin-off of Sonny's name. Sonny first started referring to himself as 'khadu' - so the credit rightly rests with him.

Sweetu-bumchi - Sweet bums :) Sonny's ma takes credit for this one.

Nautanki - Literally means 'drama'. These days sonny gives us ample opportunity to refer to him as nautanki. Origin - unknown.

Labels:

14 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger ~nm said...

:D sweet ones you got there..
Reminded me that I forgot to add the girly nicknames that I used to call him with..but tis been really long since I used any of those..because he's become such a brat..like a bully on a rampage...which I feel is a totally boy thing..

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Anusha said...

sweetu-bumchi?? that name, you have to hide from his friends. for sure :) and I like the sound of aalu..

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Rohini said...

Love angrez ki aulad... :)

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger The Perfect 10 said...

Nautanki happens to be the favourite abuse of my one third with whom i have lots of memories of worli sea face, alibag etc.. so don't you go about saying origin unknown.. One must always own up.. he he he.. another good one yaar..

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Fuzzylogic said...

Angrez ki aulad?LOL!What is with us parents that we always use the other gender nicknames to our kids. i end up calling Ina so many brat names that the poor kid will surely end up being confused!Loved all your names:)However does sonny have any favorite ones among them??

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger Just Like That said...

LOL at Angrez ki aulad! :-D
And you will know why I laugh when you get to read my tag- which I will do sometime soon..

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger Sunita Venkatachalam said...

Sweetu Bumchi is a riot. God, what have you done Kodi's Mom?

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger iz said...

Hehehehe! too much mush is coming! My mom used to call me raja beta and I used to get damn ticked off too!

 
At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL@ Nautanki. Every kid of that age pretty much earns this petname :)

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger WhatsInAName said...

lol... nautanki is something I say often too :)
Alu is something I call my BILs son and how he hates it :))

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger Artnavy said...

nautanki- reminds me of my "drama rani"

guess all kids post 2 get that name

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger How do we know said...

i did that tag at home today.. and thought of you. Today's name was baby boxer.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Savani said...

TAGGED!

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quality articles or reviews is the main to invite the users to pay
a visit the web site, that's what this website is providing.

my web blog - Generateur de Code PSN

 

Post a Comment

<< Home