Monday, August 27, 2007

What does one do?

With gifts that are so evidently unusable.

I have with me - a 20 piece dinner set which has a white centre. There is a 2 inch thick light blue vignette around the edge with dark blue roses on it. The quality of the set is just fine - its Corelle. I dont doubt the gifter's intention. But its just not my style.

Or for that matter - someone has gifted me a tea set. Me! A true blue Bambaiyya who likes to boil her tea with ginger till its golden and robust. I have been given a tea pot, with a sugar bowl and milk pot.

For these two - I hold no grudges. Maybe you didnt know my taste. Or my habits. That I can understand.

What I cant understand is this. A kids night lamp gifted to me - when sonny had 4 more months to spend inside of me - where he didnt need any night lamp. This lady's daughter had just celebrated her 2nd birthday and I know of 1 gift that she didnt use.
Or this one - its an acrylic bowl - with huge flowers painted on it. It is truly grotesque.
Or this show piece. It has a wrought iron kind of holder for a bowl that looks like crushed glass. The label says Manu & Distributed by XYZ India. Obviously someone bought this bowl with her to Canada - all the way from India. I know this woman's taste. She wouldnt have bought it for sure.

So then why do people gift others stuff - that they wouldnt themselves use? The obvious reasoning is - its a pass on gift. You get it from someone, you dont like it, so what do you do? You sit on it tight - till some sucker calls you over for dinner - and bingo - you pass the gift along. Oh yes, you make sure - she and the original gifter dont know each other - or someone might cotton onto your lil game.

I was fretting over these useless pieces that have arrived with the rest of our stuff, to hubby. In a typical Y chromosome style he says, "you have 2 options.
Option 1 - Chuck it. Throw it away. You dont like it - you're not going to use it. Option 2 - Gift it to someone else.
its not worth the time you are wasting thinking about it."

True. But of course neither option is acceptable to me. I am a born hoarder. It wrings my soul to throw away stuff. And for the life of me - I cannot see a day, where I will pass along stuff that I myself dont like.

What do you think I should do? Or maybe its not even wort putting up a post for.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger Savani said...

I don't think there is any harm with regifting. If you have one too many and are sure that the reciepient will truly enjoy it, I say go for it.

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've recently decided not to gift (my close friends at least) or accept gifts from anyone. There's a children's hospital here (St. Jude's) and moving on hubby and I will be donating whatever amount we decide to spend on a gift to the hospital.

Do we really need any more things? If we're right about our friends, they would love the idea too. Hope I didn't sidetrack the topic too much.....

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Tara said...

ye, nothing wrong with regifting if its something nice and you have no use for it of your own. else...give it away to the maid or someone who might delight in even these little things.

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger Just Like That said...

Ooh its definitely worth posting if nothing else.

You know what, for B'days we get SO MANY gifts. Sometimes the same gift from more than two people.. And if the gifts are perfectly nice, I certainly do not mind re-gifting them. It helps quite a bit when you stay in a flat where there are a dozen kids of the same age.

For those gifts that are not up to my mark to re-gift, I give them away to the watchman's kiddo who again is a toddler.

But this re-gifting works only in kiddy gifts, I think. Wedding gifts are often given by close family, who think out the gift which will come in useful and those gifts are retained, for sentiment as well as utility.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Usha said...

I sometimes don't know if it is a passon or it is a result of their taste - Now I know why people print "No presents please"on the invitation. It takes a lot more to get rid of some gifts.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger noon said...

StS - oh my god is this a coincidence or what! I wrote a long post on gifting just two days back and I just read this post!
Yeah I too don't mind regifting (I don't do it partly because I have not had gifts that I felt comfortable regifting and ones I did not use myself!) as long as the gift is good and can be used by the other person.

 
At 3:37 AM, Blogger WhatsInAName said...

hmmm
very difficult indeed! Well, agree with all here. You should circulate it. Maybe one fine day, it will land in the hands of someone who CAN use it :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home