Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Home is....

What makes a home?

Is it the place where your home is? As in Mumbai is home for me. No matter what I am doing, if the news report says Mumbai, I rush to hear what it’s about. But I no longer live in Mumbai.

Is it the people you live with, that make your home? So then by that logic, we’ve stayed in some 5 cities in the last 15 months, each should feel like home to us. After all our family was together – and that’s all that should have mattered to get a home-like feeling.

Or is it the things that you have in your home? Your possessions, your belongings. The couch, the dining table, the lamps you fought and bought together. But then aren’t these things materialistic? Couches can break, tables can get old and lamps go out of style – and you get rid of them to get new ones. So, does that mean homes are recyclable? Renewable? Transient?

As I unpacked my belongings, I kept thinking. My table. My lamps. My clothes. Each article has a story. Where we bought it, how we transported it, where we used it, the deal we got on it (how can you forget that ?) Each piece of furniture, each scrap, each itty-bitty thing has a memory attached to it. Memories that we packed away and left in storage for 17 long months while we moved from place to place figuring out where we wanted to be, what we wanted to do.


And then it struck me – memories make up a home.

Memories of the place. The heat or the snow storm. The unusually hot day in Dec – when we took off to Boston Commons and saw the ice rink melt. The cold and windy day, we were to fly to India. The hospital where sonny was born.

Memories of the people you were with. Sonny’s first birthday in Schaumburg, Il. And how we shared his birthday cake with the hotel employees – the only people we knew there. The nurses on duty when sonny was born. The nurse who visited me home to teach me the breast-feeding technique.

Memories of your possessions. The scratch on the table. The stain on the mattress caused as one inexperienced mom tried to change her newborn without using a changing pad.


Yes, I thought – that’s what makes a home. The memories that you knowingly or unknowingly form in each place. With the people you are. With belongings you have.

And I sat down and wept – for each memory. For each place that we’ve left behind. For each belonging that we have re-discovered. For all those people who helped make those memories.

And then got up with a resolve – to create more memories here.
To create a home.



P.S.: The amount of crying I am doing these days – I could give Nirupa Roy a run for her…glycerin bottle :)

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, Blogger Just Like That said...

my dear, why do you cry? You have a wealth of memories you can hold close to your heart. Do not feel sad.
I think it is the constant shifting that is getting to you. Never mind. Here's to settling down and feeling at home. Soon.
Warm hugs. :-)

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger annie said...

Enjoy your present before that becomes a past only to be treasured. Hope you not kvetching too much about this with your folks in mumbai...they would feel worse.Now smile!

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Anusha said...

memories make a home..beautiful, S2S!

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger ~nm said...

A beautiful post! So heartfelt!

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger WhatsInAName said...

Well... if variety is the spice of life, why do we cry when we have to leave things behind? :(

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Savani said...

lovely post.. but see.. you have so many wonderful memories of so many wonderful places, you are richer than most, don't you think?

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger Swati said...

Beautiful..so heartfelt..loved this post.
Even I wonder about what WIAN said.

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger Usha said...

That is a very beautiful post. Come to thing of it, life is nothing but memories. A good life is one that gives you a lot good memories to dwell on in old age.
And please don't be so sad. I can see you are overworked - why don't you take it easy. Who is giving you deadlines. Just declare a few days no work days and have fun with sonny or with us in blogdom!

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

A beautiful thought, and a beautiful post.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Awww...*hugs*..have just gone thru something like that...so I can empathise..but dont worry soon the sun will shine again...

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger noon said...

Nice post...true. Memories give meaning to our lives...much as they fade...and get created as we go on...
There is a lovely song in the movie "Astitva" - something to that effect...there are so many stories between you and me kind of song...
BTW - why do you have to move often? And where are you now - you just moved? Sorry I may have missed some post about your moves...

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger the mad momma said...

oh better you than me honey. moving house upsets me greatly and i sit and mope for days and upset everyone around me. ur a brave brave girl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home