Thursday, December 07, 2006

Out of the Box

Ok, I'm really not into stealing other people's ideas, but this one is hilarious. One of my dear ex-bosses sent me this forward. I liked it so much, I thought, I must share it with you guys.

So here goes:

Imagine this ...

You are driving along in your car on a wild, stormy night, it's raining heavily, when suddenly you pass by a bus-stop, and you see three people waiting for a bus:
1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.
2. An old friend who once saved your life.
3. The perfect partner you have been dreaming about.

Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing very well that there could only be one passenger in your car?
* Think * for the answer before you continue reading...



This is a moral/ethical dilemma that was once actually used as part of a job selection procedure.

* You could pick up the old lady, because she is going to die, and thus you should save her first;
* or you could take the old friend because he once saved your life,and this would be the perfect chance to pay him back.
* However, you may never be able to find your perfect mate again.


The candidate who was hired (out of 200 applicants) had no trouble coming up with his answer. Guess what was his answer?


He simply answered: "I would give the car keys to my Old friend and let him take the lady to the hospital. I would stay behind and wait for the bus with the partner of my dreams."

Sometimes, we gain more if we are able to give up our stubborn thought limitations. Never forget to "Think Outside of the Box."



Now I wonder, why she sent it to me? ;)

5 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehehe , good one !

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger That Armchair Philosopher said...

hehe, cute, but I was *actually* asked that by a chap interviewing me for a job at a rather well known company. having come across stuff like this before, I knew the answer and spelt it out pat.

needless to say, i didnt join them - where's the originality?!! if their *interviewers* are that trite, can you imagine the kind of work they must do, methinks hehe

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Minal said...

Had read this somewhere, earlier. There was an entire article on wacky questions and all the more smarter answers that are frequently asked at the business schools.

But these kind of interviews are fun. Even I have had my share of such trick questions.
Would mail you, some day

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger By Deepa and Supriya said...

behavioral interviews!! but yes like the armchair philosopher commented can you imagine being interviewer and asking this to applicants and receiving the same answer from just about everyone, thanks to the internet!! Originality, almost an unknown entity (sigh)

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Something to Say said...

at my last job interview I was asked, "what's common between a relationship and a pen?"

I guess interviewers are keeping up interviewees.
So i guess I wasn't the only one being asked 'trick' questions, judging from Armchair Philosopher's and Minal's response.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home