Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Monkey Business

As I stood staring out of the kitchen window - I saw a fully grown monkey sitting on the gate of my parents-in-law's house.
"O dear God! there is a monkey outside" I told ma-in-law
"o no! I'm going to loose more potted plants today" she said

More thumps on the ceiling indicated more monkeys running around.

Turns out every few days, a huge bunch of monkeys hits this recently settled residential colony where my parents-in-law reside. They pluck out flowers and buds from plants, remove plants from pots and generally leave devastation in their wake. Ma-in-law has lost several pots and more dahlias and chrysanthemums than she can remember.

Normally, I am quite a live-and-let-live kind of person. But monkeys! Running around in residential areas! And my sonny plays in the yard all day - except for the time he plays on the terrace. What if a monkey bit him??

"Why doesnt someone fire an air-gun or something to scare them off?" I ask.
"What if they hurt them, by mistake? Monkeys are revered in these areas to be incarnations of God (Hanuman)"
O shoot ! I didnt think of that!

"Why not call the forest reserve guys and have these monkeys sent back to the forests?"
"Where are the forests? These areas where we live now - used to be guava groves and monkeys roamed freely here. Now that we live here - where will they go?"
Good point! When man encroaches on animal land - animals have a right to fight back!

So now I'm really stumped! I keep scanning the horizon for impending monkey attacks - while sonny plays outside!

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger Fuzzylogic said...

LOL,monkeys used to be a nuisance at my home in India too,thankfully we later moved our house to another residential area and somehow it was less but we were never totally rid of them. I remember very well as a child running around in the backyard with a papadum in my hand and a big monkey came to me and growled and calmly took my papadum and ran back and all I could do was cry and run to my grandma:)Hope they just keep to themselves and hang around the trees and don't scare your little one.

 
At 1:57 AM, Blogger Itchingtowrite said...

the monkeys in sankat mochan temple in varanasi snatch th offering from u only after u hav finished visiting the temple, not before! strange. atleast 3 times i have been smacked by monkeys

 
At 4:02 AM, Blogger Has to be me said...

Once a monkey entered my kitchen & I was all alone @ home....it scared the hell out of me! ?i mustered courage to sho it away but no...it came in & started to see what was there to eat!!! Luckily i called my neighour & the wise old lady tempted it with a banana & thankfully it went away from the house!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger By Deepa and Supriya said...

:), so you are on monkey watch now? Good ole India!

 
At 3:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"O shoot !"
You mean, Oh don't shoot? :P

May be the monkeys should be calling the forest services to report about the humans wandering into their space :)

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger That Armchair Philosopher said...

Do what the Government of India did for the monkey problem near North/South block in Delhi. Hired a monkey trainer with a huge chimp to scare away the smaller monkeys.

Worked like a charm :)

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger mommyof2 said...

O God, I went to Jabalpur once and boy, did I see Monkeys there.. I was so afraid because anytime the door was left open they used to come inside, open the fridge with key and take all the food.. God forbid if someone tried to shoo them away.. scary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home