Wednesday, December 13, 2006

My Exam

Its that time again. Its one of those much awaited yet dreaded moments that happen once every few months, I cant wait for it to be over.

A few days before the D-day, I’m filled with anticipation, paranoia, worry and hope. I begin preparations a few days in advance. I start reading up on the internet, make copious notes and start prepping myself. I start getting my list of questions ready. And my list of answers. I even start to prep my son and hubby. And yet, I often wonder what good this last minute preparations can do to me.

A day in advance I ready my bag, put my papers in – a few spares, my records. I check and re-check if I have the time and date right.
In my head, I have planned out the route, the time to leave home, the meal I would have to prepare in advance. Everything is planned and thought of.

I ready myself to meet the examiner.

The examiner is a gentle, soft speaking grand-dad type person. He’s been an examiner for the past 40 years and has seen countless anxious, over-wrought people like me. He talks to me about the subject of my thesis. He examines the fruit of my toil gently with a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eyes. My thesis is unwieldy – and somehow resists all attempts at being put to order. He questions me – and gently encourages me in my efforts. He offers tips to handle tricky problems, even laughing at hubby's attempts to be helpful.

He checks my records – marks his observations.
Then he pats me on my shoulder “that’s a job well done. Growth is plotting out fine. Your milestones are being met.” and that’s his sign to tell us – our exam is over. His smile tells us – like every time – looks like we’ve made it with flying colors.

On his way out he looks at my son and says “for being such a good boy – we’re gonna give you some shots – I’m sorry child – but the nurse will be here soon”. And with that my son’s pediatrician walks out of the room.

And that’s how ends my son’s quarterly physical exam. Much anticipated – yet much dreaded. And I have one today. Pray for me.

8 Comments:

At 3:02 AM, Blogger Artnavy said...

hey i cannot understand the anxiety- that too coming from you

anyway all the best

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Minal said...

I can. completely. Wishes and prayers

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Something to Say said...

art: thanks. sometimes it beats me too - how a person like me can get sooo worked up about a routine physical exam. guess I havent forgotten the first time we went to the doc - and he pronounced sonny to be underweight. add to that people saying "o mommy doesnt feed you well" - doesnt do much for my anxiety.

minal - thanks! so much!

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger That Armchair Philosopher said...

hehehe, to be honest, i thought the story would turn out to be something like that :) but hey, atleast you got it over with AND passed.

what else can you hope for in an exam anyway? :)

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Something to Say said...

That Armchair Philosopher: Just about passed this time - with grace marking from the examiner :)

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger By Deepa and Supriya said...

:0 Hope it went well. How old is your son, again?

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Usha said...

What exactly happens in this examination? What are you questioned and encouraged about? are you expecting another baby?

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Something to Say said...

orchid: It went ok - this was a new doc - but sonny seemed fine with her. Sonny is 18 months old now.


usha: At a well-baby visit - the doctor checks weight, height, head circumference, plots it on the national average - to see how your baby is doing against the rest. The doc questions you about baby appetite, meals, kind of food stuff he eats, sleep patterns, developments in fine and gross motor skills, talking....basically all the developmental milestones. Encouragement is usually for stuff like eating healthy meals, or if u need help in toilet training or like at this stage sonny has loads of tantrums...so discipline, etc. Or if you need external help - like speech therapists or allergists - so they basically guide you and stuff.

And good lord no, usha......no more babies!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home